Lentil Salad - Sizin Portal

Lentil Salad

Friday, July 4, 2008


I make this healthy salad for breakfast atleast 2-3 times a week. I've experimented with different kinds of sprouts and lentils, and each one has such unique tastes that it's not really possible to pick a favorite.

I've found the easiest lentils to sprout, though, are the Green Gram lentils and the Turkish Gram or Moth lentils. They take an average of 16-24 hours in the hot Chennai weather, so I'm assuming a little longer in other parts of the world. For more on sprouting lentils, please see here.

Quick and Easy Lentil Salad

1 cup Sprouted Lentils of your choice (I used Green Gram sprouts, which are super healthy and delicious)
1/2 cup Cucumber, skinned and chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1 Onion, chopped (optional - I prefer shallots or spring onions - they lend a less intense flavor)
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Dressing: I used a chutney made of grinding together green chillies, cilantro and gram dal (also known as pottu kadalai).


Combine all the above and enjoy a healthy and tasty meal.

This is off to Lisa at the Vegetarian Kitchen for No Croutons Required's Soups and Salads, which features lentils this month.

0 comments: