Dal Dhokli - Your Recipe Rocks! - Sizin Portal

Dal Dhokli - Your Recipe Rocks!

Friday, July 4, 2008


Dal Dhokli is a Gujarati/ Rajasthani dish - that is filling and delicious. Like Sambar or Lasagna or even Mac and Cheese, every home has their own twist on the recipe - some load it with lots of ingredients and many are simple. Some others are simple but have lots of toppings. Whichever way it's served, it's always delicious.

I've had it several times in different houses, but people, like I've mentioned before, would rather not divulge their family dal dhokli secrets! :) So you'll never get the recipe! The better the dal dhokli, the tougher it is to get the recipe from the chef!

When I came across this recipe at Arundati's Escapades, I was very excited to try it. And it turned out very well. You can dress it up, like I've done here, or just eat it in all its simplicity.

I made a few changes - since I never do have ghee at home, I omitted it from the recipe (I know - ghee always makes everything taste better!), and I cooked it for longer to have a slightly thicker version. I also served it with crushed potato chips (instead of the normal crunchies like sev), and chopped onions.


Dal Dhokli
(adapted from here)

Cook toor dal with a pinch of turmeric powder.

While the dal cooks, make two little balls of chappati dough (whole wheat flour and water), roll them out into thin rotis and cut into strips.

Add the strips of dough to the cooked dal. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes, until the dough is cooked through.

In a separate pan, heat some oil and add mustard seeds. When the mustard begins to splutter, add cumin seeds, a bay leaf, couple of cloves, cardamoms (or cardamom powder), red chillies and asafetida. Fry for a few minutes and then add this to the cooked dal. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

To serve: Spoon large ladlefuls of the dal dhokli into bowls. Add some crushed potato chips and chopped onion. Other options for toppings: fried onions, sev, tomatoes, green chillies.


Your Recipe Rocks! - Thanks, Arundati. It's a keeper. And a great one-dish meal, so off it goes for Archana's One-D event as well.

0 comments: