Apple Crumble - Sizin Portal

Apple Crumble

Friday, July 4, 2008

For the Open Sesame riddle (and I love DK and Siri's riddles!), I was sent this one:

A moniker in my name for a city

A phrase with me will make you cherished
I am so good for you in my utter simplicity
In Medical dictionary the fact so furnished


I am so famous in the world of bytes

Known for many aspects of usage

I am fat and rotund and make crunchy bites

My fame known from many religious traditions - right from the old age


Am, I forbidden? Or mystical ?

or the eternal giver of Youth

I consist of five internal carpels

Am good for good health of your mouth


I am as basic a fruit as you can think of

Or as hard if you don't try enough
If You eat me on a day to day basis

Then you don't have worry about anything - be it cold or dry cough


.....
Easy enough? I guessed Apple and I was...ahem...right.

I eat fresh apples quite a bit, but don't cook with them very often. The one time I loved apple as dessert was an Apple Crumble that my friend's mother used to make many years ago. I remember sitting at their dining table, sipping tea and eating crumble while it rained outside - rain is the perfect accompaniment for crumble!

I went to their house, learned how to make it and came rushing home to try it. And soon in my house there was the glorious aromas of home baked crumble! There's really nothing better!


Apple Crumble

4 apples, peeled and sliced into large chunks (choose firm, crunchy apples - green or yellow)
3 oz all-purpose flour
1.5 oz cold butter
1.5 oz brown sugar (I used Demerara)

Butter a baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.

Fill the baking dish halfway with the apple slices


Add the butter to the flour, and blend in to resemble bread crumbs (try not to use your fingers to do this, as the butter tends to become warm - if you can, use a fork. If you have cold hands, no problem!). Blend it in quickly and lightly - just till combined.

Add the sugar to the flour mixture. This is what it will look like.


Scoop the crumble onto the apples.


Bake for 20-25 mts, until slightly browned on top.



Enjoy.

DK and Siri, you know you rock! :-)

0 comments: