* 1/2 pound flour
* 1/2 ounce bakers yeast
* 1 tablespoon water to blend yeast
* 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to dampen pizza at end
* Salt and pepper
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup hot water
* 2 cans (1 pound 12-ounce) fresh egg-shaped tomatoes, skinned, seeded and roughly chopped
* 2 teaspoons capers
* 1/2 small tin anchovies in oil, drained
* 5 slices mozzarella cheese
* 10 black olive halves
* 1 sprig oregano
* 1 small garlic clove, finely sliced
* Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
Place the flour in a bowl. Make a well in the center, add the yeast mixed to a paste with water and then the olive oil, salt, pepper and egg. Mix together and then thin paste with hot water until it resembles chewing gum and comes away from the hands.
Knead for about 3 minutes until it no longer sticks to hands. Shape dough into a ball, cover with a bowl and allow to stand 30 minutes. Knead again and then pick up the dough and pull it out with the fingers, turning it around.
Oil a baking sheet and preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Place the dough onto the baking sheet, spreading it out to form 12 inch diameter round shape. The edge should be a little thicker than the center. Garnish with tomatoes, capers, anchovies, mozzarella cheese, black olive halves, oregano leaves, garlic and pepper.
Sprinkle with oil and place into the oven for 20 minutes. Place on serving dish.
Thursday, May 8, 2008